Do you dream of exotic and interesting far off places? Why spend your vacation at a resort in the USA when there are incredible places all around the world where you can experience a totally alien but fascinating culture. There are many countries that could vie for a place on your bucket list but here are five of the best.
The Land Down Under is a place like no other. From huge vibrant cities like Sydney, Melbourne and Perth to the dry red center and the Great Barrier Reef and tropical islands, Australia is a land of contrasts. It is a laid-back country with a great sense of fun but also a legacy of sporting prowess. From trying your hand at panning for gold to diving with sharks there’s an amazing array of adventures to have. There are incredible landmarks including Uluru, Sydney Opera House and Harbor, the “Big” things and its many rocky outcrops and mountains. If there’s one place it worth considering getting a travel loan to visit, it’s Oz.
If there is one over-riding image of Vietnam popular in the media, it is the number of motorcyclists in the major cities. Motorcycle travel across the whole country is popular and roads are surprisingly good. Vietnam Motorbike Tours are a terrific way to see the best sights and attractions. You can easily visit the top cities like Ho Chi Minh City, Hanoi, Dalat, Da Nang and the stunning Hội An, the picture-postcard perfect Ha Long Bay as well as the incredible beauty of jaw-dropping Hai Van Pass. With a long and rich history and one of the most fragrant cuisines in Asia, Vietnam deserves a spot on your bucket list.
Known as the Great Mother or the Rainbow Nation, South Africa pulls in visitors like a moth drawn to a flame. A country of stunning contrasts, South Africa is a melting pot of cultures. From the two amazing coastal cities of Cape Town and Durban to the bustle of Johannesburg to outback towns where pre-apartheid life seems stuck in time, urban life is very different to the countryside of the Garden Route and the wine growing regions like Stellenbosch. Of course, the great attraction is the national parks. You couldn’t pay a visit to South Africa without a safari trip to see the big five game animals.
Thailand has topped the list of Asian destinations for many years now but don’t overlook Indonesia. This highly populous nation of more than 17000 islands, 300 languages and many varied cultures is a diversity lover’s dream. It is simply filled with a myriad of adventures. Have some tropical R&R in beautiful Bali, go volcano trekking in Sumatra, or go shopping in a cool, glitzy mall in the capital, Jakarta. Wildlife is beguiling with orangutans lazing in trees and Komodo dragons menacing those who dare come too close. There’s adventure around every corner.
Being one of Europe’s top tourist hotspots shouldn’t put you in mind of overcrowded beaches lined by high rise hotels. Greece is an absolute charm whether you choose the magnificent mainland or one of its idyllic islands. The capital, Athens, is one of the most historical destinations on the planet and the marvels of the ancient civilization will leave you in awe. The country boasts 6,000 sitting in the beautiful Aegean Sea, each with its own character. Some have huge party resorts while others might only be inhabited by a goatherd and his family and their animals. Island hopping by boat is a fabulous way to immerse yourself in the beauty of Greece. The food’s not half bad either!
Which is going on your list of must-visit places?
Meet Cole and Adela
We have been wearing out our jandals (Kiwi for flip-flops) on our travel adventures around the world since 2009. We think our blog is thought provoking and a little witty. But we have been proven wrong before. Find out more about us here...
New on Four Jandals
- 7 Best Ways to Explore Greece September 15, 2021
- 5 Best Things To Do In Maryland August 25, 2021
- Explore Auckland’s Coasts With One Exquisite Walking Hike August 5, 2021
What Are You Looking For?
- Adventure Travel (234)
- Africa (25)
- Asia (30)
- Auto (2)
- Business (4)
- Canada (4)
- City Guides (25)
- Education (4)
- Entertainment (6)
- Europe (176)
- Events (3)
- Fashion (4)
- Finance (4)
- Fitness (2)
- Food (15)
- Health (7)
- Home (3)
- Inspiration (12)
- North America (51)
- Oceania (32)
- Other (219)
- Personal Musings (9)
- Reviews (16)
- Sports (1)
- Technology (11)
- Travel Blogging Tips (9)
- Travel Tips (258)
- Work (1)
UPDATE: Following our controversial “Why I want to tear up your Bucket List” post, we decided to change the title to “Dream List”. We don’t want to be guided by a list of things we need to do before we literally kick the bucket.
Instead we have come up with a list that we will add to from time to time, about dream places, or activities we want to do. Offer us some suggestions too on Facebook!
Some of these have been in the back of my mind for years, and that’s why I have added them. Even if they have been completed, while others in the list continue to evolve.
Some are just reminders and/or tips to ourselves to make sure we get the best out of every trip. I also don’t think that you should have a set number of items in your
bucket dream list. It should continue to grow as you learn about new experiences that you want to see or do, and get the desire to try new travel adventures.
Fingers crossed we see them all and having a list will help us plan our next couples adventure travel trip.
- Swim with whale sharks
- Visit the Taj Mahal
- Teach English somewhere in Asia
- Cycle the Euro Velo 6 route
- Climb the Eiffel Tower – Done – Can read about that here
- Visit 10 Greek Islands
- Drive across the United States of America – Done – Can read about that here
- Surf in every continent
- Volunteer work with turtles
- Travel to AND enjoy 100 countries
- Dine on the delicacies of the worlds cuisine
- Sail around the Whitsundays
- Travel the width of China
- Hike to Machu Picchu
- Start travel writing/blogging Done – you are reading about it (thanks)!
- Become a successful travel writer
Earn money travel writing so we can explore the world!– Read Why we Quit our Jobs.
- Snowboard in waist-deep powder – Snowboarding at Marmot Basin (sort of).
- Whitewater raft a class 5 river
- Mountain bike in Utah
- Live in back to back summers
- Live in back to back winters
- Travel the width of Russia
- Visit Alaska
Visit the Grand Canyon– Done
- Ski Lake Tahoe
- See Polar Bears
- Visit the 50 states of America
- Speak another language fluently
- Make lifelong buddies throughout the world – Working on it.
- Try the local beer or drink of choice in every Country we visit
- Never stop experiencing new cultures
- Take timeout for me to explore. Or just chillax
- Slow down when visiting places (everyone, including us, has a nasty habit of running around like a headless chicken not really “seeing” the sites)
- Scooter the length of Vietnam
- Snorkel the most beautiful reef in the world
- Dive World War 2 wrecks in the Pacific
- Whitewater raft the Grand Canyon
Attend Oktoberfest– Nailed it. Check out our experience here.
- Full moon party in Koh Phangan
- See the Big 5 in Africa
- Walk the Fjords in Norway
Kayak tour along a coast/group of Islands– Kayaking in Naples.
- Go to the site of the Chernobyl disaster
Explore our own backyard (this will stay at the bottom of the list as a constant reminder that it is important that everyone always forgets to do it)
As requested, if you had to limit your list to a top 5 what would they be? (Add more than 5 if you want!)