Life is an adventure – but it can be a pretty boring one if you don’t spend your time wisely.
Between your nine to five job, arguments with your other half, cooking ready meals and binging on Netflix box sets, most of us have an adventure that’s closer to Last of the Summer Wine than Indiana Jones.
But there’s one thing that can brighten up your life – travel.
When you travel and experience new cultures, you feel revitalised, but that doesn’t mean you have to ditch your responsibilities to trek the globe.
If you’re savvy you can experience the best of both worlds, the one of travel and the one of progression in your career.
Get distance learning
Distance learning used to be fustier than your grandad ranting about Al Jolson. It was done via post, the snailiest mail in existence.
Then the internet came along and gaining a distance learning degree a streamlined and efficient experience, one in which you could study anywhere and at any time you liked.
So you could be completing a Management degree inside an Israeli Kibbutz or working on a Leadership qualification on the Great Wall of China.
What does this mean for you? You can study and travel at the same time, putting you in good stead upon your return home.
If you’re a writer or graphic designer, working ad hoc comes part and parcel with your lifestyle. Whether you’ve helped write a website homepage for a friend’s business or penned a short story collection in your spare time, you know the drill – work from wherever you like and gain some coin.
This’ll give you greater financial security while you travel and save you having to hunt for menial jobs whenever you hit a new town.
Freelance jobs are always available from sites like Fiverr or People Per Hour, so give them a look.
What does this mean this for you? You can make extra cash on the move.
If you can speak English there’s a very good chance you can teach it. At least that’s the attitude taken by Teaching English as a Foreign Language (TEFL).
With some training, they’ll find you a place as an English teacher in a foreign land. Some people stay in Buddhist temples teaching English to monks, while others shack up in Tokyo or Rome.
The choice is yours. And if you enjoy yourself, you can travel to a new TEFL destination once your placement is completed.
What does this mean for you? It’ll look great on your CV and improve your communication skills.
Become an au pair
Looking after children might not make for the most relaxing travel experience, but it’s a great way to make some small change while you’re abroad.
Many agencies are always looking for qualified travellers to hire as affordable au pairs, so check online and see what’s on offer.
What does this mean for you? You’ll make extra money and fill and gaps in your CV.
That’s out list. Can you think of any great ways to continue your career while you travel? Then let us know in the comments below.
5 top countries you should visit at least one time in your lifetime!
Do you dream of exotic and interesting far off places? Why spend your vacation at a resort in the USA when there are incredible places all around the world where you can experience a totally alien but fascinating culture. There are many countries that could vie for a place on your bucket list but here are five of the best.
The Land Down Under is a place like no other. From huge vibrant cities like Sydney, Melbourne and Perth to the dry red center and the Great Barrier Reef and tropical islands, Australia is a land of contrasts. It is a laid-back country with a great sense of fun but also a legacy of sporting prowess. From trying your hand at panning for gold to diving with sharks there’s an amazing array of adventures to have. There are incredible landmarks including Uluru, Sydney Opera House and Harbor, the “Big” things and its many rocky outcrops and mountains. If there’s one place it worth considering getting a travel loan to visit, it’s Oz.
If there is one over-riding image of Vietnam popular in the media, it is the number of motorcyclists in the major cities. Motorcycle travel across the whole country is popular and roads are surprisingly good. Vietnam Motorbike Tours are a terrific way to see the best sights and attractions. You can easily visit the top cities like Ho Chi Minh City, Hanoi, Dalat, Da Nang and the stunning Hội An, the picture-postcard perfect Ha Long Bay as well as the incredible beauty of jaw-dropping Hai Van Pass. With a long and rich history and one of the most fragrant cuisines in Asia, Vietnam deserves a spot on your bucket list.
Known as the Great Mother or the Rainbow Nation, South Africa pulls in visitors like a moth drawn to a flame. A country of stunning contrasts, South Africa is a melting pot of cultures. From the two amazing coastal cities of Cape Town and Durban to the bustle of Johannesburg to outback towns where pre-apartheid life seems stuck in time, urban life is very different to the countryside of the Garden Route and the wine growing regions like Stellenbosch. Of course, the great attraction is the national parks. You couldn’t pay a visit to South Africa without a safari trip to see the big five game animals.
Thailand has topped the list of Asian destinations for many years now but don’t overlook Indonesia. This highly populous nation of more than 17000 islands, 300 languages and many varied cultures is a diversity lover’s dream. It is simply filled with a myriad of adventures. Have some tropical R&R in beautiful Bali, go volcano trekking in Sumatra, or go shopping in a cool, glitzy mall in the capital, Jakarta. Wildlife is beguiling with orangutans lazing in trees and Komodo dragons menacing those who dare come too close. There’s adventure around every corner.
Being one of Europe’s top tourist hotspots shouldn’t put you in mind of overcrowded beaches lined by high rise hotels. Greece is an absolute charm whether you choose the magnificent mainland or one of its idyllic islands. The capital, Athens, is one of the most historical destinations on the planet and the marvels of the ancient civilization will leave you in awe. The country boasts 6,000 sitting in the beautiful Aegean Sea, each with its own character. Some have huge party resorts while others might only be inhabited by a goatherd and his family and their animals. Island hopping by boat is a fabulous way to immerse yourself in the beauty of Greece. The food’s not half bad either!
Which is going on your list of must-visit places?
5 Expert Tips with Examples for Getting Started in Travel Writing
Writing is a very important and helpful skill. It has multiple benefits for the professional, intellectual, and spiritual development. Undertake any kind of writing and you’ll enjoy a lot. One of the currently popular genres is travel writing. This is a very creative nonfiction style of writing. A traveling writer describes the places he or she visits and explains his/her feelings associated with the traveling and visited places.
So, if you are an active traveler and have a soul of a writer, you should combine these two aspects. Describe your experiences while you’re on a trip and encourage other people. However, you may not know how to start or develop your projects. Nothing wrong with that. Read our guide, which provides effective writing tips for travel writers.
Make allowances for the following points:
1. Create an online portfolio. The Internet gives us multiple outstanding benefits. One of such is speed. You may easily share your emotions and experiences anytime and anyplace you are. Therefore, think about your own writer’s blog or even a portfolio website. Present your bibliography as soon as you arrive at the destination point. Thus, you may instantly share your impressions with your readers. Add pictures and videos to enhance your descriptions. Your readers will embrace what you feel in full. In addition, this is an amazing opportunity to reach other writers and editors for a stronger collaboration. Of course, you’ll acquire even more followers.
2. Nurture a niche. You should choose your own direction. Try to be original and don’t repeat after other writers. Otherwise, nobody would like to read the same themes. Separate yourself from the rest. Afterward, work in that direction. Find those specifications, which impassion you. Thus, it’ll be much easier for the writer. Establish and develop your own style. Differ from the crowd. Under such conditions, you’ll attract a larger audience. Use media, such as Facebook and Twitter to find more followers. Collaborate with other writers to become more famous.
3. Begin with smaller things. You should widen the horizons. Nonetheless, it shouldn’t be done all at once. Widen the world by starting small. You should focus on your own content, which should go a single direction. Within time, as you gain experience and popularity, you should write on other matters. If you want other people to read your works, use the help. Go to the local newspaper agency or find a popular website. Discuss the reasonable terms about your publications and start your writing career. It is quite possible that you would require some assistance from an editor. It is better to have an experienced writer who will show you a thing or two.
4. Work online and offline. As it has been already mentioned, you should use the power of the Internet. Develop your online resource in all possible ways. Cultivate your connections with the help of social media. However, it’s not all. Ask your relatives and friends to spread the advertisement about your writings. The same should be done offline. You may initiate some workshops and conferences. There are lots of travel writers. Therefore, you have great chances to gather many of them for such meetings. When people share their experiences, they also learn from the others. This is a great chance to obtain popularity and become famous. Do not pass up this advantage. Establish your own “tribe” and develop yourself.
5. Know what you write about. You may be pretty surprised, but many travel writers undergo the same mistake. They do not realize what their main point is. Even those who already have decent amounts of followers have no idea what they describe in their writings. This sufficiently lowers communication skills. Such a practice does not promise anything good. Within some time, such writers lose their followers. This is an inevitable process, which leads to ruin. Before you put down the initial note, ask yourself what your readers are expecting to read. Walk in their shoes. Imagine that you are a reader who has no possibility to visit many foreign places, but who adores traveling. What would you like to learn? This is what you should begin with. Afterward, the process will go smoothly and naturally. Always care about the wishes of your audience because your major objective is to tell the stories to other people.
A Few More Writing Tips
Use our 5 expert recommendations and you have good chances to prosper. There is no end to the perfection. Everybody may improve his/her talents every day and in a different manner. Therefore, we have prepared a list of short tips, which will strengthen your writing skills recommended by Lauren Bradshaw, academic expert, hired by Custom Writings professional writing service. These are:
- Begin each piece of writing with a brief but strong introductory sentence.
- Come to the major point of your story as soon as possible to ignite a desire to read it.
- Be logical in your story.
- Connect the beginning with the end with a strong narrative thread.
- Quote people you meet during your trips.
- Escape clichés.
- Use plain and well-known phrases.
- Always check the facts you write about.
- Write economically.
- Write about the moments which can potentially impress your readers and not you.
Try to keep in memory this list as well. It is actually effective and helpful. If you use all of these recommendations, you will become a proficient travel writer. Travel the world, share your experience and enjoy your life at full!
Traveling To A New City
Traveling to a different city can be a fresh of breath air for the individuals who are getting a bit tired of their same old same old. Seeing the same thing over and over again can be quite dull and can make you go a bit insane.
That is why traveling is so refreshing. It allows us to experience more things and life is all about the experiences we have and make. So here are a few things you should keep in mind when you decide to hit up a new city for the weekend or a vacation.
# 1 – Car Rentals
You might find it incredibly beneficial for you to search for budget car rental coupons. This is especially true for the individuals who are traveling to areas that are considered too far for you to drive to.
Budget rental car coupons will not only save you some money on getting your rental car, but it will also make your traveling around the city much more accessible and affordable.
# 2 – Know The City
Knowing the city will prove to be invaluable for your vacations or weekend away. Knowing what spots are hot and entertaining will make your trip there all the better. If you are a lover of secret club scenes and party areas then doing a bit of research to find the hidden club spots will make visiting the city all worth it.
# 3 – Budget
It is something that even the best of us sometimes overlook; budget. Although you want to have a good time while you travel you also want to make sure that you have enough money to do and see as much as you can.
You don’t want to micromanage your vacation, but you do want to be a bit wary of how much you are spending. Always better to be on the cautious side then to be on the relaxed side; especially if you are in a different city far away from home.
Traveling Can Be Fun
If you are looking to get away for the weekend or planning a few week-long vacations in another city, then it would be a good idea to keep some of these ideas in the back on your mind. Traveling can be fun, and it can also be disastrous if you do not plan accordingly.
It is best always to play it safe and to think of as many scenarios as possible to tun your vacation into a splendid experience.
Meet Cole and Adela
We have been wearing out our jandals (Kiwi for flip-flops) on our travel adventures around the world since 2009. We think our blog is thought provoking and a little witty. But we have been proven wrong before. Find out more about us here...
- Travel Tips1 year ago
Couples Travel – Why every couple should travel before marriage
- Adventure Travel1 year ago
Walking the Camino de Santiago Photos
- Europe2 years ago
Travel Tip: Train to Pisa from Florence
- Travel Blogging Tips1 year ago
Our Experience of Starting a Travel Blog
- Europe6 years ago
Photo Essay from around Costa Brava
- Personal Musings1 year ago
From Four Jandals to Two Jandals
- Travel Tips6 years ago
50 lessons learnt from travelling the world
- Adventure Travel6 years ago
2012 Travel Adventures in Photos